Yields 12 cupcakes
- 2 cups plain flour (plus 2 teaspoons for apple coating)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon (plus ½ teaspoon for apple coating)
- 2 cups diced & peeled apples (preferably granny smith, but any will do)
- 110g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
(Ingredients for topping)
- 60g unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a cupcake tin with baking cups.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, toss together diced apples and 2 teaspoons of flour to coat apples. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add vanilla.
- Gently fold in flour mixture, alternating with milk. Stir until just combined. Fold in diced apples. Then scoop mixture into prepared muffin tins, filling about to about ¾ full. Baking until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.
- While the muffins are baking, prepare the topping by melting the butter and cooling it slightly. Pour the butter into a separate wide bowl easy for dipping tops of muffins. Mix together granulated sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Once muffins have baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly in the muffin tin. Then, remove each muffin and dip first in the melted butter and then into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place onto wire rack to cool.